Thursday, July 17, 2008

Aunt Patty's Tiger Lily





When Aunt Patty was moving in with her beau she asked us if we wanted any of the extra furniture she had. Of course we jumped at the chance for a new couch and chair. While we were there she offered some of her many outdoors plants. I think we took about six Tiger Lily plants and I put them in the empty patch just beside the driveway. I had no idea what I was going to to with the space and it had been weedy and pretty sad looking the last two summers. It took me a while but I dug away at the ground and I think I came close to reaching China before I had the holes deep enough. The plants love it there! They get a good dose of sun in the mid-day and I water them every day to keep them healthy. About two weeks ago something started to happen, dear goodness...they are going to flower soon! It's my first year at gardening and I am way excited about growing stuff. I've watched the stems grow and buds come up and just this past few days they have been turning from green to yellow and now to orange. I walked outside today to get into the car and there it was! My first Tiger Lily! Oh, it's so beautiful! I just love it. Thank you so much Aunt Patty for the plants. You've sparked something in me and I've got a million different veggie plants growing up on the carport and they are starting to produce too. I'll post those pictures soon too.

No comments: